Do you love bread & butter pickles? We do! And this is our favorite recipe for those sweet and tangy bites of perfection.
Bread & Butter pickles just taste like summer to me. Sunshine in a jar really. Being able to pull a jar of home-canned pickles from the shelf any time of year is truly a treat that we enjoy and we hope that you will also.
This recipe is easy and delicious. Better yet, it’s made for water bath canning so that you can enjoy your favorite treat all year long!
Bread & Butter Pickles
- 3 lbs pickling cucumers
- 1 lb onions
- 1/4 cup canning & pickling salt
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seed
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 2 tsp ground tumeric
- 2 tsp black pepper seeds
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- Wash and cut cucumbers to desired width and shape, discarding ends.
- Place cucumbers in a large bowl
- Cut onions into slices, not too thick, not too thin.
- Place onions in bowl with cucumbers
- Cover cucumbers and onions with water and ice, let sit for 2-3 hours
- In a large pot, mix all other ingredients and bring just to a boil and turn off heat
- Mix cucumbers and onions into brine and mix well.
- Place cucumbers and onions into steralized jars, don't over stuff them.
- Add brine to fill jars to 1/2 inch head space and debubble.
- Wipe rims of jars, place lid on jar, screw on ring finger tight.
- Place jars into hot water bath with at least 1 inch of water over the jars.
- Cover pot and bring water to boil for 10 minutes
- Turn off heat and let sit for an additional 5 minutes
- Remove jars from water, place on a towel and let sit 18-24 hours.
- Check the lids to make sure all have sealed. If any have not, place them in the refrigerator and enjoy in a few days.
- For best results, let the pickles rest in the jars for 4-5 weeks. Best if eaten within a year.